We're looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We're building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution to offer a broad range of investment products in their apps. Our view is backed by Europe's largest tech VCs (Earlybird, Notion Capital, Partech, HV Capital, ABN AMRO Ventures) and by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow)We're based in Berlin but would consider hiring remotely for this role. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we're happy to support your relocation.
At Upvest, our vision is to make investing as easy as spending money . By enabling any business to offer investment opportunities, our goal is to empower anyone to invest. Today, we count 100+ talented people from 20 different countries.
We are seeking a full-time backend engineer with experience in data management to build services and data pipelines for Europe's first securities API. Your goal is to take ownership of designing, developing and maintaining our data pipeline (written in Go, supported by Airflow, exposed in Looker) and corresponding microservices (written in Go).
The Reporting team in the Data & Reporting tribe is responsible for the compilation and processing of a broad set of reports for the overall Upvest platform. The team's responsibilities include user and regulatory-facing reporting as well as reporting API endpoints.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Designing and building fault-tolerant, horizontally scalable systems using a Microservice architecture powered by Docker and Kubernetes
- Building event-driven applications using Kafka
- Developing data cleaning, data transformation, data aggregation, and schema management components
- Working on improving the reliability of our data infrastructure
- Establishing or developing innovative tooling to facilitate low-maintenance data pipelines, rich data tooling for product and operations, and user-focused dashboarding.
- Working with an agile methodology with flexible processes
- Working with the cutting edge technologies (Go, Kafka, Looker) without a legacy code base
- Prior experience with distributed systems and data pipelines
- Love for clean and structured data and experience with schema management
- Experience in Go (or willingness to make Go your day-to-day language)
- Fluency in analytical SQL and other data languages (eg, LookML, numpy/pandas, Airflow DAGs, GraphQL, etc.)
- Fluency with event-driven architecture and concurrent algorithms
- Being proactive in learning new stacks and having a high sense of ownership
- Being able to present your work and enjoying to teach your newly learned skills and technologies to your colleagues
It's nice if you have:
- Experience with Investment products or the Fintech domain, in general, is a big plus
- Experience with managing end-to-end data pipelines (from the creation of an event to making it visible as a KPI to the CEO)
- Experience in event-driven architectures and event sourcing systems.
- Experience with ETL/ELT tools and technologies
- Experience with Kafka Streams, KSQL, or related streaming aggregation technologies.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and modern monitoring and tracing tools
- We're working on solving a hard problem: fixing the European securities financial infrastructure that empowers more people to be able to invest. You have the opportunity to contribute to this change.
- We invest in you. From access to a personal coach, development budget and plenty of opportunities to grow in your role.
- We take hiring seriously with a strong focus on keeping a high bar when interviewing (equally important is that we hire decent people, who are passionate about their craft and helping us achieve our shared mission).
- While we're not quite fully remote, we are committed to being a flexible employer, as we understand you don't have to be in the office to do your best work.
- We live a culture of empowerment, trust (that we hire the best people and get out of their way) and openness (there's a greater advantage in sharing information than keeping it to ourselves).
- Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. progression > perfection.
- team first We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! team > egos.
- Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome > Process.
- tell the story We always start with the why . We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency > Complexity.