Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
This position is responsible for using statistical analysis tools and data science with the Fossil Hydro organization in order to:
- Help translate data into business insights and valuable actions
- Discover business narratives told by the data and present them to other scientists, business stakeholders, and managers at various levels.
- Develop and test heuristics
- Create and run models
- Perform data exploration and data mining
- Create business intelligence, dashboards, visualizations, and/or other advanced analytics reports to adequately tell the business narrative and
- Offer recommendations that are practiced, actionable, and have material impact, in addition to being well-supported by analytical models and data
Duties and Responsibilities
With Some Supervision:
- Work within the organization to establish professional relationships, and communicate with stakeholders in order to understand business needs.
- Solve problems for stakeholders, and under the supervision of the manager of FHO Analytic and matrixed senior data scientists, construct problem frames in order to understand the analysis context and scope that will provide timely, useful results.
- As needed, work in project teams and participate in multidisciplinary analytics project teams.
- Interview Subject Matter Experts, plan and conduct individual interviews with experts to gain valid information and data needed for analysis.
- Elicit Information from Groups, plan and conduct group elicitation sessions with working groups to develop and assess alternatives, uncertainties, and value and risk preferences.
- Communicate Results of the analytics process in both written and oral presentation formats
- Create recommendations that are practical, actionable, and have material impact, in addition to being well-supported by analytical models and data.
Employees in this role will also:
- Identify unique opportunities to collect new data.
- Design new processes and build large, complex data sets.
- Strategize new uses for data and its interaction with data design.
- Locate new data sources, analyze statistics and implement quality procedures.
- Perform data studies of new and diverse data sources.
- Find new uses for existing data sources.
- Conduct statistical modeling and experiment design.
- Test and validate predictive models.
- Build web prototypes and performs data visualization.
- Conduct scalable data research on and off the cloud.
- Implement automated processes for efficiently producing scale models.
- Design, modify and build new data processes.
- Generate algorithms and create computer models.
- Collaborate with database engineers and other scientists.
- Implement new or enhanced software designed to access and handle data more efficiently.
- Train the data services center team on new or updated procedures
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with a degree in statistics/analytics, economics, physics, mathematics, engineering, computer science, or management of information systems AND 3 years of experience with statistics, data modeling and reporting
- Previous experience working in data mining, natural language processing, and data governance
- Working knowledge of data analytic tools like SAS, SQL (Structured Query Language), R, IBM Cognos, etc.
- Strong knowledge of basic and advanced regression and prediction models
- Mastery of statistics, machine learning, algorithms and advanced mathematics
- Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) from INFORMS, ISM or APICS