Senior Back-End Developer (m/f/d)
You are an excellent C++ software engineer with a degree in natural sciences and strong software engineering experience in advanced software development methodologies, tools, frameworks, and standards. Here in Elsevier, you will join a fast-paced, result-driven and international team of passionate and entrepreneurial software engineering professionals and drive development of large-scale, distributed applications.
Our diverse team consists of over 7 nationalities and spoken languages, stretching across Europe, the UK and the US and relying on a well-developed network of industry leaders – partners and suppliers.
This position is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, working on the Elsevier flagship product Reaxys. A chemistry and pharmacology domain tool for large pharma corporations, governmental and academia organizations.
Deliver on Product Development roadmaps
- Work in a divers agile team to deliver on Product Development roadmaps in a timely manner
- Conceptualising and applying innovative chemistry or pharmacology domain solutions fostered by solid scientific knowledge
- Providing high quality software with a deep understanding of Quality First Development processes like TDD and Defensive Coding
- Carefully managing scope of releases and sprints
- Efficiently communicating with Business and Technology stakeholders
- Ensure up-to-date reports and rolling forecasts are presented timely and accurately
Drive Back-End technology adoption and transformation
- Contribute to the spirit and success of innovation by advocating proactive exploration of latest technologies (tools, frameworks, approaches, trends) with visible result
- Team commitments and actionable outcomes materializing in product improvements and introducing managed disruption to existing products and services
Contribute to Cloud and DevOps org. transformation projects
- Work with internal and external stakeholders
- Attend workshops and conferences especially at the boundary line between domain and technology
- DevOps culture and flexible, scalable, yet resilient Cloud infrastructure
Drive Back-End technology unification across our portfolio
- Sponsor technology sharing across various Development teams
- Spark interest and help facilitate successful outcomes
- Assure solid foundation exists and there is interest for engineers to move between projects.
What you should bring
- Master's Degree in chemistry, pharmacology or related natural science
- Strong background in C++ Software Development and Information Technology
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience (during university career, post-degree employment)
- Strong hands-on experience with C/C++ is a must
- Conceptual understanding and experience with relational SQL databases, highly preferred PostgreSQL DBMS
- Scripting knowledge in one or more of Python, PERL, shell (e.g. bash)
- Excellent understanding of fundamental algorithms and OO design patterns
- Service implementation (REST, SOA: standards, views, & implementation experience)
- Format standards and tools in XML, XSD, XSLT; JSON
- Experience with Test Driven Development
- Detailed knowledge about quality assurance processes and their integration with the development process
- Knowledge of the conceptional and technical tools for agile development (Scrum methodology and implementation with help of Jira, GIT, Confluence, others)
- Understanding of Big Data, Data Analysis and ML problem area and existing solutions
- AWS Cloud solutions experience (e.g. CloudFormation, TerraForm, Chef/Puppet, Hiera, other native services)
- natural science touching point e.g. chemistry, biology, medicine, pharmacy etc.
What we offer
We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities for personal development!
What we do?
Elsevier is a world leading provider of information solutions – we transform data and information into a vital, organic system of ideas that produces solutions to critical human challenges. We do this by combining information with digital tools, platforms and analytics to create knowledge that is both empowered and empowering – placing them in hands of authors, educators, scientists, researchers, clinicians, professionals and students.
- We are committed to building cohesive teams where communication, support and innovation thrives. Instead of taking a top-down approach to new ideas, all members of the team are empowered to contribute. Great ideas can come from anywhere
- We adopt an Agile process, with daily stand-ups, sprints, demos, retrospectives and other Agile practices
- All features are written as a user story, and we strongly believe in a user centred approach to design, as this is a user facing product. Many of our features come as a direct result of user testing, and therefore may not have been predicted in advance.
About our product:
- Reaxys retrieves chemical literature, compound properties and reaction data faster than any other solution. It is used by synthetic, pharmaceutical, industrial and academic researchers to find answers to their chemical problems. We have recently made significant investment to modernize its user interface and still have a multi-year roadmap of exciting work to get done.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact email@example.com or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.877.734.1938.