The Quality Engineer, stamping will be responsible for providing on time support to our internal or external customers on Quality Improvement opportunities for stamping. The role will monitor our manufacturing processes, quality data systems, first pass yield, scrap and continuous improvement opportunities in order to implement the best practices in our operation on a daily basis.
- Accountable for the quality of incoming components (aluminum / steel coils & blanks), quality controls and assurance in production process, root cause analysis and resolution of problems impacting internal and external customers, continuous improvement and risk mitigation.
- Drive cross functional teams to achieve targets for field reliability, scrap and first pass yield.
- Development of manufacturing requirements, quality standards and product quality plans to assure products will meet expectations of our target customers. Core Focus GD&T & surface evaluation.
- Identification of critical requirements to assure proper supplier and production focus on critical needs.
- Leading development of FMEAs (Design & Process) for development teams to identify and address critical risks.
- Support development of manufacturing equipment, controls and test plans to address risks identified in FMEA.
- Participate in design reviews to assure product subsystem quality, manufacturability, reliability, etc.
- Assist development with dimensional analysis, statistical tolerancing and other methods to investigate the effects of part and process variability on system performance.
- Manage and facilitate the root cause & corrective actions system through tracking and validation of issues and support in root cause analysis through facilitating brainstorming, use of lean methodologies, hypothesis testing, design of experiments, DMAIC, 8D, etc.
- Continuously improve/develop a proactive quality control system to effectively address and control product quality for current and future products.
- Analyze, develop, process, and implement Engineering Changes.
- The successful candidate for this position must have a broad technical background with the ability to work with engineering, manufacturing, service and suppliers across a wide variety of issues. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement to establish effective working relationships within Tesla and outside.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Materials or Industrial Engineering, or evidence of exceptional experience in related fields.
- MS degree in engineering, Six Sigma or ASQ certification are preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in quality engineering
- Minimum 1 year of experience with stamping (stamping, welding, e-coat, powder coating).
- Specific training and demonstrated success in applying design for quality, problem-solving methodologies, FMEA, process capability analysis, hypothesis testing, DoE and SPC.
- Strong background and demonstrated success applying statistical methods.
- Minitab, JMP or other statistical software capabilities are preferred.
- Data mining, databases and scripting experience (e.g. MySQL, Python).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills