ICIS is the global source of Independent Commodity Intelligence Services. We connect data, markets and customers to create a comprehensive, trusted view of the global commodities markets, enabling smarter business decisions that optimise the world’s resources. At ICIS, we help businesses make strategic decisions, mitigate risk, improve productivity, and capitalise on new opportunities. We make some of the world’s most important markets more trusted and predictable through our services.
We have an outstanding opportunity available for a senior data engineer and team manager in the ICIS data operations team, part of the product development and analytics function.
This role is critical to deliver ICIS's mission to deliver world class Data and Analytics solutions to our clients. You will be responsible for delivering well designed and quality data products to Data Science and Analytics colleagues. At the heart of the role is the ability to delight your internal customers, always listening to feedback and delivering solutions quickly and efficiently. As a team manager, you will also be responsible for coaching and developing other Data Engineers in the team. You will act as a team ambassador, ensuring the engineering team is aligned to and understands the overall company strategy.
This is an outstanding career opportunity within a dynamic market-leading global business. We have a supportive culture with a keen focus on innovation, technical excellence, career development and mutual support.
- Ownership of assigned data products, including data model design, end-to-end data pipeline delivery, data product quality monitoring, requirements analysis and issue resolution.
- Continuous engagement with Data Science and Analytics colleagues to understand requirements for our data-assets and empower them with best possible data, to create high value analytical services.
- A leader, defining the data strategy for assigned data domains, focused on delivering business value and winning others for change.
- Define requirements and engage with ICIS tech team to ensure Data Engineers have the tools and infrastructure they need for the job.
- Working with other tech teams to define data requirements for external data products e.g., APIs, Data Marketplace offerings etc.
- Strong customer focus and data-driven mindset – using data to inform strategy
- Innovate process improvements that enable efficient delivery and maintenance
- Training and line management of the business data engineering team
- Successfully implement development processes, coding best practices, and code reviews
- Keep abreast of new technology developments
Desired Skills and Experience
- A team player who works collaboratively
- Strong oral and written communications skills and an ability to translate between technical and business stakeholders
- Experienced manager who knows how to engage, motivate and develop
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple deliverables concurrently and prioritising effectively
- Detail orientated with strong problem-solving skills and innovative thinking
- Experience in partnering with a diverse team in multiple locations
- Capable of providing coaching and support to transfer technical & data knowledge
- Used to working closely with data scientists and analysts and comfortable with rapid prototyping e.g., shipping beta products
- Strong proficiency with data manipulation language including optimization techniques - SQL preferred, Snowflake experience is a plus, knowledge of OLTP DB's a plus
- Strong understanding of normalized/dimensional data modelling principles - Dimensional or Vault methodologies preferred
- Experience working in cloud environment - AWS or Azure preferred
- Expertise in development language - Python preferred
- Familiar with popular data science tools and deployment methods e.g., Databricks, Docker etc.
- Strong knowledge in Industry data engineering best practices
- Knowledge in using and developing in applicable toolsets e.g., frameworks, stored procedures etc.
- Ability to interface competently with data science and analytics users to finalize requirements
- Knowledge of test-driven development
- Ability to write and review portions of detailed specifications for the development of complex system components
- Solid project management skills
- Understanding of automation/other tools to increase efficiency
- Strong problem solving and research skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve process inefficiencies (e.g., bugs) in the repository
- Strong attention to detail
- Basic knowledge of web-technologies (FTP, REST, SOAP, XML, etc.)
- Release management
- Knowledge of energy or chemical industries a plus but not essential
- Knowledge and experience of Data Engineering, explicitly for the purposes of Data Science and Analytics
- A preference for speed to market over technical perfection
What we offer
- Personal learning opportunities at a worldwide leading market information and insight provider
- Flexibility and trust as part of our corporate culture
- Hybrid working role, based in either Karlsruhe, Germany or London, UK
- Opportunities to take over additional responsibilities to grow in your role
- A vibrant environment working alongside a dynamic and motivated team
At ICIS, we are a team that thrives on innovation and collaboration in a diverse and inclusive culture. We take pride in finding the best people. This is not just about a proven track-record, but about who you are and how you work. How we do things is just as important as what we do. We search for the behaviours that will make the difference in our team. It starts with drive and the desire to achieve, succeed and grow. Really caring and ensuring delivery and getting things done. Taking ownership and thriving with empowerment. Not afraid to take calculated risks and fail. We put the customer first and have a thirst for learning. If this is you, then get in touch.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Lexis Nexis Risk Solutions Group having diverse employees with different perspectives is key to creating innovative new products for our global customers. We have 35 diversity employee networks globally and prioritise ensuring inclusive leadership is part of our culture. Our aim is for every employee to be the best version of themselves. We would actively welcome applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds and underrepresented groups.
We encourage applicants and employees to tell us about any health issues they may have to allow us to put in place reasonable adjustments that may support applicants in the application process and support employees to succeed in their role.